First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Post Reply It's the Great Crunchyroll Pumpkin Carving Contest!
39036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 11/5/12
Well I'm never entering another crunchyroll contest!!!! the best one hardly ever wins! that poyo poyo one is so simple. I saw at least three better ones.
59112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/5/12 , edited 11/5/12
First and foremost congratulations to the winner and runner ups.


bastet666 wrote:

Well I'm never entering another crunchyroll contest!!!! the best one hardly ever wins! that poyo poyo one is so simple. I saw at least three better ones.


Thanks for echoing my sentiments exactly.

I am perhaps being a little jaded since I entered the contest, but I would really like to know what merit they were graded on.

My pumpkin was by far not the best, but I cannot help but wonder how the others were chosen?

You stated in the first post that we could gain "extra points" by basing it on an anime on the website, which implies there is a point system in place.

I have seen some pretty amazing pumpkins and can't help but feel it was not fair to not mention them as runner up's because they seem to have put in far more work then some others.

Was this all just a random drawling of those who all entered?
Did the time I put into my pumpkin mean nothing?
Did I stand the same chance by coloring it with a marker or spending 3 minutes stabbing it with a fork?

In all attempts to be fair, I feel the top place should have been randomly selected from the group of all those who entered a pumpkin, this would have been the only fair way to pick a winner that got an actual prize. The three runner up's should have been selected based on actual pumpkin design and implication, sort of a way to say congratulation for the hard work.

The contest was fun and all, but I wish I would have known how the winners would be chosen prior to investing the time on it.
8605 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / NY
Offline
Posted 11/5/12
Do they still do the judging on the live show anymore? I remember they did for one of the contest, I believe it was the tasting for Polar Bear Cafe drinks... not sure if they did any other live show judging for other contest.
49653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Online playing......
Offline
Posted 11/5/12

phantasygodz wrote:

First and foremost congratulations to the winner and runner ups.


bastet666 wrote:

Well I'm never entering another crunchyroll contest!!!! the best one hardly ever wins! that poyo poyo one is so simple. I saw at least three better ones.


Thanks for echoing my sentiments exactly.

I am perhaps being a little jaded since I entered the contest, but I would really like to know what merit they were graded on.

My pumpkin was by far not the best, but I cannot help but wonder how the others were chosen?

You stated in the first post that we could gain "extra points" by basing it on an anime on the website, which implies there is a point system in place.

I have seen some pretty amazing pumpkins and can't help but feel it was not fair to not mention them as runner up's because they seem to have put in far more work then some others.

Was this all just a random drawling of those who all entered?
Did the time I put into my pumpkin mean nothing?
Did I stand the same chance by coloring it with a marker or spending 3 minutes stabbing it with a fork?

In all attempts to be fair, I feel the top place should have been randomly selected from the group of all those who entered a pumpkin, this would have been the only fair way to pick a winner that got an actual prize. The three runner up's should have been selected based on actual pumpkin design and implication, sort of a way to say congratulation for the hard work.

The contest was fun and all, but I wish I would have known how the winners would be chosen prior to investing the time on it.


I second...no, third this. I'm not jaded, but more curious. I sense there will be some backlash coming from some of the other users as well.
19030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Trois-Rivieres, C...
Offline
Posted 11/5/12
Congrats to the winner! And thanks to Crunchyroll for hosting this contest.

I'm actually quite shocked at the moment, it's probably the first time since elementary school that I win anything in a contest (and I'm sure it was nothing to be proud of, back in the day). Granted I didn't win, but a free 3-months extension is a pretty nice consolation price.
6015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / San Diego
Offline
Posted 11/5/12
Oh Well, better luck next year. Congrats to the winners!

...
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 11/5/12
I'm also curious what the grading criteria was...
59112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/6/12

fireaxe wrote:

Congrats to the winner! And thanks to Crunchyroll for hosting this contest.

I'm actually quite shocked at the moment, it's probably the first time since elementary school that I win anything in a contest (and I'm sure it was nothing to be proud of, back in the day). Granted I didn't win, but a free 3-months extension is a pretty nice consolation price.


Congrats on the win
26215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 11/6/12 , edited 11/7/12
Congrates to the winners :)

16626 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 11/6/12 , edited 11/6/12
Mwahahaha
Oh, art world. Some times I forget how cruel you can be.

poyo poyo was better than anything I could do.
sad but true.
8382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Jacksonville, Texas
Online
Posted 11/6/12 , edited 11/6/12
I deleted my post.
8014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Hawaii
Offline
Posted 11/6/12 , edited 11/6/12
Thank you very much CR for choosing my pumpkin ^_^ I honestly didn't think I would even rank anywhere let alone win this contest after seeing all the mind-blowing entries that were competing against me
Crunchyroll Community Manager
27203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / San Francisco
Online
Posted 11/6/12 , edited 11/6/12

CrossForte wrote:


phantasygodz wrote:

First and foremost congratulations to the winner and runner ups.


bastet666 wrote:

Well I'm never entering another crunchyroll contest!!!! the best one hardly ever wins! that poyo poyo one is so simple. I saw at least three better ones.


Thanks for echoing my sentiments exactly.

I am perhaps being a little jaded since I entered the contest, but I would really like to know what merit they were graded on.

My pumpkin was by far not the best, but I cannot help but wonder how the others were chosen?

You stated in the first post that we could gain "extra points" by basing it on an anime on the website, which implies there is a point system in place.

I have seen some pretty amazing pumpkins and can't help but feel it was not fair to not mention them as runner up's because they seem to have put in far more work then some others.

Was this all just a random drawling of those who all entered?
Did the time I put into my pumpkin mean nothing?
Did I stand the same chance by coloring it with a marker or spending 3 minutes stabbing it with a fork?

In all attempts to be fair, I feel the top place should have been randomly selected from the group of all those who entered a pumpkin, this would have been the only fair way to pick a winner that got an actual prize. The three runner up's should have been selected based on actual pumpkin design and implication, sort of a way to say congratulation for the hard work.

The contest was fun and all, but I wish I would have known how the winners would be chosen prior to investing the time on it.


I second...no, third this. I'm not jaded, but more curious. I sense there will be some backlash coming from some of the other users as well.




Wow, I can't believe you guys are acting like this ....

Yeah, there were "better" pumpkins. Meaning more "effort" or something, but I liked this pumpkin, it was round like Poyo Poyo.

There are tons of reasons I chose that pumpkin, but why should I have to explain myseld? You guys are kind of acting like poor sports. ...

I'd be more for explaining if you were nice... ALSO, the winner of the contest can see these posts, you know, how do you think it makes her feel ? Crunchyroll users are better than this, I know you all are, usually you all support each other...

right now, I am disappoint.

65137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F
Offline
Posted 11/6/12
well I haven't watched poyo poyo, but just from the pics I've seen of the show, the pumpkin definitely gave the cute factor that made me want to cuddle it, so I would say it reflected the character it was portraying

plus, actually pulling of something that looks great and appears effortless can be a lot harder then you think.

so congrats to the winner, its really cute! (kinda makes me wanna check out the show lol)
59112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/6/12

SailorBee wrote:

Wow, I can't believe you guys are acting like this ....

Yeah, there were "better" pumpkins. Meaning more "effort" or something, but I liked this pumpkin, it was round like Poyo Poyo.

There are tons of reasons I chose that pumpkin, but why should I have to explain myseld? You guys are kind of acting like poor sports. ...

I'd be more for explaining if you were nice... ALSO, the winner of the contest can see these posts, you know, how do you think it makes her feel ? Crunchyroll users are better than this, I know you all are, usually you all support each other...

right now, I am disappoint.



Wait a moment, we are acting like poor sports for requesting to know why the 4 pumpkins were chosen? You quoted my post like I did something wrong, I passed on my congratulations to the pumpkins that were chosen, but I also choose to voice my feelings regarding it, not a single thing is wrong with that. Take a look at the winners comment, is she being rude for stating others were better then her's and questioning how she won?

Let's take a moment to look at how the "contest" was presented to us the community.

Not a single occurrence of the word "I", as referring to this was your contest was used in the entire first post. It was advertised as being hosted by crunchyroll, how were we to know you would be solely responsible for picking the pumpkin you simply "liked"? We were left to assume (at our own peril apparently) that the "contest" would be judged based on how well the pumpkins were done. Is that not usually the point of a contest?

As to your comment stating you would be more willing to explain if we were nice? You are not being very nice to us by implying we were "rude" simply for asking a question about the contest that severely lacked information. You stated you are disappointed that anyone even brought up this issue, but then go to state there would have been a "nicer" way to do it? Not a single person was rude to any person or attacked them directly, we all simply expressed the desire to want to know how the pumpkins were picked.

Let me take a few moments to analyze the pumpkins that were chosen and explain what I liked and disliked about them.

Evilium - Poyo Poyo Pumpkin : I personally like this pumpkin, I like the fact that she attempted to use as much real-estate of the pumpkin as she could. The use of the curve in the pumpkin to give the creature a 3D like appearance was a fantastic touch that seems to never be used. The Japanese? on the side of the pumpkin was a nice touch as well. I was not a huge fan of the "Hiya" that was added, it seems like it took away from the over all pumpkin.

Skryia - SAO Pumpkin : Another nice pumpkin, his attempts at shaving to lessen the light that shined in some important spots was not lost. The fact that he cut at an angle to prevent the light from shine completely threw on the outside was nice as well, gave a nice glow to the background. It would have been very nice to see some more of the shaved parts cut out for better definition.

Fireaxe - BSP Pumpkin : What is not to like about this pumpkin? He was able to successfully shave a very good circle to encompass the design. The minimal use of detail in the skeleton really helps you to realize it is in fact a skeleton, it worked out perfectly. Would have been nice to see a touch of originality added, as it is almost an exact copy of the subject material. (Mine is also this way).

Mico171 - Magi Pumpkin : This pumpkin took advantage of something no one else used, and that was the use of props. While the subject of the pumpkin alone would have caused some confusion, the addition of the drawling provided just enough background information for you to know what is going on. The wire used for the hair was a nice touch since the use of a candle would not have worked out so well with the image prop that was used. I would have liked to see the kiss and the lips carved out instead of draw on, but to each his own. The accidental frost just added to the presentation in my opinion as it helps the "ghost like" pose that was chosen.

If I have offended any of the chosen pumpkins in any way, I am sorry, that was not my intentions.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.